Friday, March 25, 2011

Multi-room baby video monitor


After researching video monitors for a couple of months, I finally bought a Lorex LW2003 Live Snap Video Monitor from Amazon. The monitor and 1 camera was around $130 and it has fluctuated up and down since then. I also bought 2 more additional cameras at the same time, and then later bought one more. The cameras run somewhere from $70-$90.

I have 4 small children and all the bedrooms are upstairs, with the master bedroom downstairs. The main reason why I wanted a video monitor with a talk back feature is so that either my husband and I wouldn't need to stumble our way up the stairs when one of the kids yell for something in the middle of the night.

Overall I love this monitor and it's the cheapest I've found. But with all the neat features to love, there are some cons. Let me start there.

CONS:
  1. There is a stand-by mode called VOX that doesn't work right. VOX is a mode whereby the sound and video goes on standby and only turns on when a sound activates it. You can set the sound sensitivity. For example, if you have 2 cameras that are on VOX mode, the monitor will be on stand-by (no video, no sound), unless of the cameras detect a sound. If the camera detects a sound, that camera will pop up on the monitor. Or at least this is how it's supposed to work. The problem is, 2 of my cameras make the monitor turn on even without detecting a sound. One day I experimented on it, and put it in a room and changed the setting to detect the loudest sounds only. This made the monitor always on. Then I changed it to the softest sound only, and the same thing happened. I also found that 2 of my cameras work well on VOX setting, but the other 2 don't. So I just quit using this feature.
  2. The charging base for the monitor is weird. It has a mini-usb port sticking out. I have to be careful aligning the monitor to the base when I charge it.
  3. Battery: Battery charge doesn't last long in a dark room because it has to use the night-vision. I found 2 hours to be a max in a dark room, but up to 5 hours in bright room.
  4. Camera: This feature is a little silly. The camera can take a picture but very low quality. So why bother?
PROS:
  1. Power-save mode: On this mode the monitor goes dim but the sound still works. I have 4 cameras and I use this mode while the camera cycles through each camera (8 seconds each camera). The sound works and the video only turns on when I press any button.
  2. Talk back: I can talk to each kid by using the monitor. I hold down the dialog bubble button and my voice comes out of the camera. The sound is great and doesn't come out booming. I have never scared any of my kids by talking out of nowhere. When one of my kids ask for me to come up just to say goodnight for the 10th time, I can talk to them through the monitor.
  3. The camera can be mounted, or can be propped up. This is excellent because I can take it to the backyard and monitor the kids there when I can't be out there with them. In the rooms, I use 3M velcro and it works great.

So overall, I love this monitor. There are more features, but I just wanted to mention what sticks out the most. Because I use this mainly at night, I have the cameras charged through the night. If I don't, it dies in the middle of the night. But in order to preserve the battery life, I unhook it from the charger and just leave it on during the day. Lorex doesn't mention to do this, but I've burned out many a batteries by leaving this plugged, so I've learned my lesson.


1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.