Sunday, March 27, 2011

the greatest bassinet for twins



When I had my son (my first), I used a midrange priced bassinet  so that I could have him beside me in my room. This made breastfeeding easier. In addition to waking up every couple of hours to nurse, I woke up every hour (sometimes every half hour) just so I could peak at him to check if he was still breathing. Having to lift my head slightly in order to see him was not too comfortable, especially since I wasn’t fully recovered from my c-section. In order to breastfeed I had to sit up, pick him out of the bassinet and lay back down. A few times, I picked up my son using his swaddle so that I could avoid having to sit up. This was disastrous. Once, I dropped one end of the blanket and dropped my little man back in the bassinet. It was only a 5 in drop, but it was not something I wanted repeated with subsequent kids.


When I became pregnant again, this time with twins, I researched bassinets and found one by Arm’s Reach. It’s a unique bassinet where one side is lower than the other 3 sides. With different models, I was able to pick one where the low side is exactly the same height as my mattress. This made it easier to glance at my twins and made it easier for me to grab them to breastfeed. It was also the only bassinet I found (the Arm’s Reach Original model) that could fit twins. The bassinet position could hold up to 30 lbs, and the playpen position could hold up to 50 lbs. The rest of the 3 sides have pockets on the sides to store diapers, extra clothes and whatever else you may need in the middle of the night.

Though quite pricey, it’s been very useful. If you are thinking of a great sturdy bassinet that makes co-sleeping and breastfeeding, I highly recommend this one.  The Original model that I have is quite big, but they also offer a mini version for single babies and/or if you have a smaller area beside your bed.

As you can see, my twins fit with room to spare. They are in a regular sized boppy.  When they became too big for the boppy, they slept oriented in the same direction without it.


***This was originally posted by me on Minti.com here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you! I'm expecting twins in 9 weeks and I find the best advice comes from twin mom not the gimmicky sales pitch for over priced twin products! this bassinet is officially on my registry!

Now what else is a must have?